Sunday, April 2, 2017

Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them: Bowtruckle (2016)

This might be a very quick tutorial.
After seeing the movie "Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them" I decided I wanted to make my friend a figure from that movie as he wanted to come with me, but I didn't know that in time.

This isn't the perfect photo, I'll try to make a new one soon.
 To start of I looked at footage/ photo's of the actual Bowtruckle from the movie.
From that I made a wire frame from electric wire (I don't really recommend this afterwards as it proved to be way to bendy.

The tiny frame was covered with a bit of clay and some basic shapes were added.
I left 2 antennas sticking out of his head. Later on the leaves would be glued to these.

I used some expensive new clay for this project instead of the regular cheap one I use. It's a nice smooth clay but it breaks rather easily. So not that suited for this tiny project.


Wireframe
Covered with clay

Once the clay part is done I gave it a solid green layer. On this I added all the variety of brown and greens.
The leaves were made from regular (eva) foam; 1mm. I cut this in shape and with something sharp I added the lines of the leave.
With help from the heat of a lighter I was able to make the leave a bit thinner and bend it into shape (it will stay that way once cooled)
This was also painted several shaded of green.

2 coats of varnish (semi-gloss on most of it, gloss on the "wet parts" like roots, tips of his fingers)

In case you wonder: The "Pepernoot" he's holding is an inside joke. (This is also made from clay)

No comments:

Post a Comment